Monday, February 16, 2009

Welcome to My World - Here is the Hood : Colonia Cuauhtemoc!

Sandwiched between two Mexico City icons, namely the Angel de la Independencia and the Diana Fountain, lies the friendly little barrio of Colonia Cuauhtemoc. Having lived in big cities all my life, this is the very first time I have been able to afford to live slap, bang in the centre of the city..

With all the streets named after rivers, the neighbourhood is a mixture of bustling banks, businesses and offices during the week, and quiet, tranquil streets at the weekend, with local shops, cafes, and restaurants. There are glass high rises, and elegant colonial buildings..


My apartment building is modern, and my abode has been labelled "El Palacio Rojo" ( The Red Palace ) for obvious reasons.... the light and the colours here make vibrancy a natural choice..

I have been inspired by the chillis and limes of Mexico, and the apartment is stuffed full of fabulous folk art by artisans from every region of Mexico. How many pieces can you spot in "Kitsch Korner" ??

Outside the contrast continues from posh, upmarket hotels (complete with freelance, abseiling windowcleaners... )

to humble, long-established taco stands. Street stalls are the best in Mexico City and Cuauhtemoc is no exception. Here is Julio Cesar preparing my favourite "Gringa" taco of roast pork, pineapple, and Oaxaca cheese...

It is a barrio whereby you can go for a chilled-out Sunday morning cycle ride along Paseo Reforma....


walk the dog (or the rabbit) along leafy, serene streets...

Perform crazy stunts with the art exhibition of chairs along Reforma (and yes that is a real person on the left!! )


or simply sit back, relax, and lap it all up...

Until the sun sets over the Angel and another day closes in Colonia Cuauhtemoc...


What is special about the area where you have chosen to live?? For more gorgeous glimpses into the lives of others click here for more MyWorldTuesday posts.

23 comments:

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I love it. Thanks for the tour. A big trip in my life was two weeks in Mexico City right after the 1968 Olympics. I loved the city and the people.

alicesg said...

Beautiful place where you are. Looked like a very fun place to be in. I have posted our icon too for today's post. :)

Indrani said...

Loved this tour very much.
Gorgeous sunset!

magiceye said...

what a wonderful and colorfully vibrant world!

Unknown said...

They are all beautiful, and so awesome with that person upside down.

Esther Garvi said...

I've never been to Mexico, so I enjoyed the tour! Thanks for sharing!
Greetings from West Africa,
Esther

Leanne said...

What a wonderful post I felt like I was there. The Sunday morning cycle seemed a bit frantic and the Taco sounded divine.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic - I love the kitsch corner, all the colours just seem so Mexican. Particularly like the Day of the Dead tat, and the mini Lucha Libre mask.

Your 'hood looks great, I'm looking forward to seeing the area when I get there, not long now..

Bob Mrotek said...

Catherine,

You are a lucky lady. Thanks for sharing.

Fly Girl said...

What a magical place! It sounds like my kind of city. WHat's special about my town is that it's Ernest Hemingway's home as well as the headquarters for Frank Lloyd Wright's museum. Oak Park is lined with lovely Victorian "Painted Ladies" and the broad lawns (hiding narrow minds) that Hemingway wrote about. It's also a very literary place with lots of writers, teachers and poets. It's pretty but not nearly as colorful as your place!

Wendy said...

I love your place and hood. The kitsch corner has been expertly curated.

Cecile/DreamCreateRepeat said...

Thanks for the wonderful post about your neighborhood. Mexico City keeps getting bumped up on my travel list!

I drove to see my daughter yesterday to the foothills of the Blue Mountains in VA. They are serenely lovely.

Anonymous said...

Makes me want to go to Mexico right now and savor that taco. Love your apartment too, especially that red couch! :-)

Catherine said...

Hi Zeal4adventure...just to make you jealous..there are TWO red couches in my apartment and a whole host of other goreous red things!! Thanks for stopping by!!

Gaelyn said...

What an excellent tour. I like the fountain and love your colorful apartment. I hope that person was strapped in somehow, what a trip.
I once flew in to Mexico City and quickly hopped a bus for Merida, so didn't get to explore the city. Guess I need to go back. I loved the city of Ooxacca for the best food. Great captures and wonderful post. Thanks for sharing. I'll be back.

Lantaw said...

Thanks for sharing those photos! I would love to ride by bike along Paseo Reforma :)

Catherine said...

Yogi, alicesg,Indrani, magiceye,jarlin, Pacey,Ishtar, Leanne, ItinerantL,Leanne, Bob, Flygirl,Wendy, cecile, gaelyn, zeal...it makes a blogger very happy to keep on blogging with such an appreciative audience...thanks a lot!!

Mariamellie said...

Hola, como estas? thanks for visiting my macro world today. You have a nice blog, I love the angel statue, reminds me of the Friedens Angel in Munich. :)

kesslerdee said...

You have a great blog! It is a dream of mine to live part time in Mexico when I retire. I am in Tucson- so close but not quite there!

Anonymous said...

The Golden Angel - Excellent.
And thanks for comments.
Keep writing.
:)

Amanda Kendle said...

Your Kitsch corner is so kitschy that it's gone full circle and become unbelievably cool! And looks like an exact fit to Mexico. Love your blog!

Lendal said...

Definitely warmer than poor old Bengeo!!

What an adventure...enjoy!

Unknown said...

oh, that bench!!!! SO GREAT. i need to start thinking about what's special about the place where i live....