Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Shadow Shot Sunday 37 - At home in the Red Room with Cildo Meireles....


















My shadow shots this week are all of the wonderful art installation by Brazilian conceptual artist, Cildo Meireles, currently showing at the MUAC Gallery here in Mexico City. He calls it "Desvio para o vermelho" ; for me it is simply "The Red Room"....



















And yes every single piece of furniture, painting, item of clothing, ornament and implement is a glorious shade of red...


















Here is an overview of the entire installation, which totally by chance I happened to be visiting wearing a red top, red scarf, red shoes, carrying a red camera, red ipod, and guia roja - cameras were clicking in my direction as I was clearly mistaken for a moving part of the Installation!!



















Why did I feel so at ease and so at home here?? Simple! My own apartment here in Mexico City has been dubbed "El Palacio Rojo" for its preponderence of all things red. Here is a close up of plant shadows on my pair of scarlet sofas - the culprits that began it all!!


















For more fun with shadows click here for Shadow Shot Sunday and this post is dedicated to fellow shadowhunter Sylvia with her well known love of coloured glass shadows....Enjoy!!

19 comments:

Ralph said...

Ruby colored shadows abound. We often see the shadow in gray, dark. Yet here there is a life in red shadows, lighter. The zebra striping on the sofas is astounding. Such artistry in this display!

A Wild Thing said...

Ahhh...the reds...just warms my hands just looking at them...wonderful compositions!

penny said...

Those are really cool shadows. I love the red color of the tableware.

Amanda at 32˙North said...

Your sofa shadows are gorgeous! I love that people thought that you were part of the installation in your red-ness.

Sylvia K said...

Thank you Catherine, I'm glad you like color shadows, too! Yours are gorgeous! And I love all these beautiful RED ones!

Have a great weekend!

Sylvia

Jonny Hamachi said...

Great Shots per usual.

Martha Z said...

I can see why a lover of red would be drawn to this exhibit. It reminds me of my mother who had several pieces of cranberry glass.

EJ said...

Cool red shadows.

During winter, its good to look at pictures during summer

Jacqui said...

So nice to see some RED instead of ice and snow. I feel a bit warmer now. xx

Deb said...

Incredible. I like *your* installation art!

wanderlust said...

Love the color scheme, beautiful photos!

Serendipity said...

You have some really interesting shadows here.

Dianne said...

beautiful rich reds!!

Dorte said...

What a great post ... wonderful shadows :-)

A Cuban In London said...

Though not keen on red, I liked this one because it reminded me of terracotta. Funny that you were wearing red, too. That's synchronicity for you.

Many thanks.

Greetings from London.

Tom Hilton said...

What a cool installation, and great shots of it.

jlshall said...

Oh my, I love your photos of the red room, but I think that much red would be really overwhelming! But I love it that you were mistaken for part of the exhibit - that's a great anecdote. Thanks for brightening up the day,
Joy @ Joysweb

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

Very warm shadows...makes us feel warmer on a chilly day in Ohio...maybe a red room would be a good idea -hmmmmm....
Enjoy your week Catherine!

Beverley Baird said...

I love the red! The shadows and reflections are wonderful!