Monday, May 31, 2010

Big Brother is Watching You.....




















The minute you see this building, which is the New Federal Police HQ on Reforma, you have to think of George Orwell's 1984 right??? The nightmare vision of a dystopian totalitarian dictatorship where Big Brother is always watching you, and the definition of the future amounts to a "boot stamping on a human face forever" according to O'Brien. Check out the disproportionate size of those boots....
















The intimidating scariness of that machine gun....















And the sheer scale compared to the ordinary people down at street level.....



















I have to admit I have become a little obsessed with this image, and only when I went to see the Steve Mcqueen film "Hunger" last week did I realise why - because my policeman was there on the screen come to life as a member of the tough Riot Squad sent in to violently subdue Bobby Sands and the rest of the hunger strikers in the Maze Prison....only my policeman was hiding round the corner weeping at the vicious brutality..... Take a look at the wistful expression on his face....the faraway look in his eyes....














He's not really interested in surveillence or watching anyone right?? He has his head in the clouds with unfulfilled dreams of his own!! The Police generally have a terrible reputation here in Mexico...and probably quite rightly so, as many friends will testify who have been taken on the typical trip to the ATM negotiating the bribe with some hard bargaining on the way...but they can have their lighter moments too whereby they get in touch with their softer more human sides.....




















If you too want to become obsessed with this image you can find him adorning the Federal Police building on Reforma right near the Angel of Independence. Check out what is happening in the rest of the world by tuning in to My World Tuesday. Click here.

11 comments:

Pat said...

Wow, this is an amazing image on a building! I like how you pointed out "the wistful expression on his face...the faraway look in his eyes..." I did not notice that until you zoomed in on it. Excellent post. I am so sorry to hear about all the drug-related murders in Mexico, e.g, mayors who are executed when they stand up against the drug crime bosses.

Sylvia K said...

Amazing indeed and I, too, am glad you pointed out the wistful expression. It is a sad situation. One wonders if drug related violence will continue to increase. Stay safe and have a good week, Catherine!

Sylvia

Catherine said...

Hi Pat and Sylvia - thanks for your concerned comments... and yes like you the drugs war and border town violence is horrific here in Mexico - but here in Mexico city where we are far from the violence ( at least 30 hors by road) it is indeed like news from another country and we are really not affected by it at all in our daily lives. Mexico City is a safe and charming place to live...

Lynne with an e said...

I've got to say that this image really creeps me out. I would hate to have that presence constantly looming over me. I suppose it could be reassuring, though, if I was afraid of violence and chaos breaking out around me in my city. But still...It's nice that you humanized the fellow for us. But it still looks like a looming, dominating, gun-toting threat to me. Well executed (pardon the term) from an artistic point of view at least.

Catherine said...

Louciao - I think that is why I find this image so fascinating - it is a such an odd combination of chilling creepiness and wistful longing - bizarre - i think I have photographed the image from every angle possible!!

A Cuban In London said...

I have to admit that even before I began to read your the whole Big Brother motif came to me. That's a powerful, powerful image and the way you have deconstructed it is suprb. Many thanks.

Greetings from London.

Catherine said...

Hi Cuban - yes it certainly is a powerful and arresting image!! Have you seen the Irish fil Hunger?? would really recommend it

Unknown said...

Kinda cute though, I spose they used a model. But the tactic worked I guess it is eye catching, jaw dropping car stopping stuff. I'd love to visit Mexico but it's tarnished image is putting me off at the mo. Hope it improves...soon.

Catherine said...

Hi Cate - please do not be put off by the media representation of Mexico - this only applies to the US border area - both mexico City and the rest of mexico are absolutely charming and safe places to visit ( and live!)

Joanna said...

Well yes, the eyes are indeed wistful but the whole effect is creepy. I liked your photos of the softer side of the policia though. From our experience in Mexico, most of the police look (and act) like little boys.

Catherine said...

thanks for all your comments this week...much appreciated