Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Beauty of Britain....

Absence makes the heart grow fonder?? Is it always the case that when you return home after a long absence or visit from living abroad, that you see your home country afresh and appreciate the beauty even more??

These photographs were taken in my favourite place in the heart of West London; a National Trust property called Osterley Park. I have been walking here on and off for twenty seven years, and have always found it the perfect place to clear the mind and restore the spirit...

Visitors I take here are always amazed that this enclave is so close to the urban grit of Hounslow with the M4, Heathrow, and noisy streets a stone's throw away. There is a resident grey heron, horses, stables, and a farm selling local produce on site as well as the elegant Osterley House featuring Adams' interior designs.....

There wasn't much sun in England this summer when I was visiting, but the beauty of Britain can still certainly be appreciated and photographed in the pouring rain!! Above are photgraphs all taken in torrential rain at Upton House; another National Trust property near Stratford-upon-Avon.

Whenever I return home I am always particularly struck by the beauty of the British countryside and gardens. What do you tend to notice first when you return home??

2 comments:

kristine said...

oh you are making me all nostalgic! i like the collage of the clouds.

Catherine said...

Kristine - didn't mean to make you homesick!! sorry...but it seemed to affect me more than usual this year!!