Sunday, November 8, 2009

Old Rockers Rule OK......Nicaragua


Judging by the numerous brightly-coloured hammocks for sale everywhere in Nicaragua - in markets, on roadside stalls, on display, strung up wherever, you may be forgiven for thinking that, like Mexico, it is another country seduced by laid-back, chilled-out hammock culture...

That assumption, however, would be quite wrong, and in all the time I spent travelling through Nicaragua, I only saw a couple of inhabited hammocks...

Here the relaxation mode of choice is quite firmly the good old-fashioned rocking chair....


Set out in cosy groups for conversation, lined up for sale in markets, rigid rows for prime-time tv viewing, or singly for that moment of solitude on the stoop, they adorn every interior, patio, courtyard, terrace, doorway, and porch.....

And are inhabited and rocked in by young and old alike...

Prime time for rocking is of course the hour of dusk when the temperature cools, and the first fresh breezes of the day are gratefully received. Then it's time to catch up on the gossip of the day, chill out a little, or simply watch the world go by...

It is a custom quite charming and part of a "sitting on the stoop culture", indicative of both the Caribbean influence and time-warp appeal of Nicaragua. Having lived in Mexico for four years, I thought my preferences were firmly for hammocks, but having rocked away for a couple of hours on a hotel porch whilst waiting for the bus, I am now not so sure. The rhythm of the rocking chair allows you to slip peacefully into the rhythms of the country. What would you plump for?? hammock or rocking chair?? Let me know!! In the meantime check out other windows on the world by clicking here for My World Tuesday.

18 comments:

Chubby Chieque said...

The second to last pix is my life fav. I adore this bamboo rockers. How I wish I could grab and have one.

SO nice SS. Thanks for a helping sun.

hugs on SS...

Take care.

Sarah said...

I love the thought of a hammock and those are beautiful ones but I would just fall asleep I think. I like rocking chairs-we even have one-rocking is so soothing. Interesting to see how valued they are there. Sensible people.

ninja said...

I would definitely go for the hammock. They're so colorful and bright!

Jane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jane said...

Interesting, I like the colours of the hammocks. I think its nice to have a porch and have some quiet time, thanks for sharing:)

Janice / Dancing with Sunflowers said...

Hola Catherine, Beautiful colourful photos about a part of the world I would love to visit. Hammock or rocking chair? Both I think! A hammock in the garden and a rocking chair in the house or on the patio!
Janice.

B i r g i t t a said...

I like your way of composing your photos and how you publish them.
Very good job!
Stylish :)

Sylvia K said...

Oh, love your post today, Catherine! That's not unusual of course, but this was a fun and colorful one! Love the hammocks, so colorful and beautiful! But I do have a thing for rockers and I could spent some very happy hours in any of these!

Enjoy! or continue to enjoy!!

Sylvia

Dirkjogt said...

I love both rocking chairs and hammocks, nice colours. Nice pictures too.

Marie said...

I really would like to rock in a hammock :-)

Owen said...

Excellent post Catherine... really gets the wanderlust going thinking about travelling to places like that... there was a fabulous film a few years ago (1998) called Central Do Brasil about a road trip in Brazil... you've given me the same feeling that film did...

Now am off to look for your post from last March about murder and mayhem !

eileeninmd said...

What a cool post. I love all the rockers lined up.
Great photos.

Catherine said...

Hi everyone...glad you enjoyed the hammock / rocker debate... seems most want both!! have a good week and thanks for all the appreciative comments...

Arija said...

A wonderfully colourful and just plain wonderful post of something I would certainly no longer be able to see for myself.

A Cuban In London said...

You know what? You just reminded me of my very own 'comadrita'. In Cuba we call rocking chairs 'sillones' or in the eastern part of the island they call them 'comadritas', like 'comadre', the opposite of 'compadre'. Funny, isn't it? I loved all the photos, especially the first one. He looks so comfy in his rocking chair!

Greetings from London.

Catherine said...

Hey Cuban - what a great word to describe the comfort of a rocking chair...do you have one in London??

kristine said...

great post, especially like the hamock shots!

Ruth T. Alegria said...

Just now noticed this post about my home country.... wonderful memories of the mecedoras, rocking chairs, known as "abuelitas" ....