Sunday, October 6, 2013

Arriving in Marseille at the Gare St Charles..........


The first time I arrived in Marseille, I immediately knew I would love this city................


Who could fail to be impressed by descending this grand, sweeping staircase leading down into the city from the main railway station - Gare St Charles......


And just take a look at the palm trees, ornamental lamps, obelisks, proud lions, and beautiful exotic sculptures lining the staircase.....


Can anyone match such a grand entrance into a city from the railway station??

5 comments:

Shirley said...

Imagine how fit you'd be if you took those every day.

Kay L. Davies said...

I'm afraid I failed to be impressed, Catherine. The stairs scared the wits out of me as I have very poor balance along with a fear of heights.
They were much more impressive after I reached the bottom without incident!
We enjoyed a day in Marseille a few years ago, and I wouldn't mind returning if I could find another way out of the train station.
K

Louisette said...

Impressive stairs and built,
Greeting from belgium with rain.
Have a nice day in Marseille
Blog seniorennet.be Louisette

Catherine said...

Thanks for your comments - much appreciated

Nonnie said...

the steps must be overwhelming to older people like me! beautiful nonetheless