Sunday, November 13, 2011

It's all Greek to me..............











With its stunning setting on a promontory jutting out into the sea from Beaulieu, and a backdrop of mountains, Villa Kerylos immediately captures the imagination. On closer inspection, one realises just how interesting this particualr villa is - a perfect imitation of the 2nd Century BC noble houses on the Island of Delos in Ancient Greece.....

















The Villa was commissioned by passionate Hellenist, Theodore Reinach, a French archaeologist married to Fanny who was a member of the famed Ephrussi family. The house was designed by architect Emmanuel Pontremoli, and took six years to build during the Riviera Belle Epoque era 1902 - 1908....

















Built around a peristyle (central courtyard) of twelve Carrera marble columns, it contains many furnished rooms complete with Greek artistic treasures, murals, and the most lovely mosaic floors throughout. I love the mosaic floor of the dining room with these beautiful details of creatures from the sea....


















As well as the peristyle, the series of rooms include the dining room, bedrooms, mosaic bathrooms, and a beautiful library....

















The word Kerylos means halcyon or kingfisher in Ancient Greek - a bird of good omen. The house was bequeathed by Reinach on his death to the Institut of France in 1928. His descendents lived here until 1967, after which it became a museum....


















My favourite mosaic in the house is this one of Theseus defeating the Minotaur. Isn't it charming and delightful??













The Villa is located in the town of Beaulieu between Nice and Monaco easily reached by train or the 100 bus. Entry is 9 Euros, but you can also buy a 15 Euro combined ticket for here and the nearby Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild which is also well worth a visit. Enjoy!!

12 comments:

French Girl in Seattle said...

Bonjour Catherine! How I loved the #100 bus while I stayed in Nice last August ;-) Thank you for taking us to the gorgeous villa. I ran out of time and could not make it during my visit, so your presentation and colorful pictures were a real treat. -- Veronique

Sylvia K said...

What a fantastic tour, Catherine! I do love Greece and had such a wonderful stay there a number of years ago. Such a beautiful villa! I really love the last shot, too! Hope you've enjoyed a great weekend!!

Sylvia

Anonymous said...

What an amazing villa - definitely one to put on my 'to-see' list!!

Owen said...

Must be beautiful water views from many windows ! And beautiful mosaics... what more could one want ?

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

Soooo jealous - love Greek architecture...it's so lovely! What a gorgeous day it was to explore :)

Beverley Baird said...

Wow - what a gorgeous place! The mosaics are stunning! Here I thought at first you were staying there for a visit! Wouldn't that be an experience! Great shadows and photos for the week!

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

Sorry to be so late checking in-busy weekend again!
Wow-this is even better than what I've seen in my Art History classes! The mosaics alone are enough to captivate me for hours on end. So very beautiful!

Lynne with an e said...

Those mosaic tiles must feel wonderfully cool on bare feet in the summer...but would such a villa's inhabitants have deigned to go barefoot? What a treasure. Are you sure you weren't visiting a dwelling from Atlantis?

PeterParis said...

I realize that I still have lot of things to see down there!

Catherine said...

thanks everyone for all the appreciative comments...

Malyss said...

Each time I'm visiting Villa Kerylos, I fall in love again with this wonderful place! I like the mosaics, both naive and perfect!

stamps_coin_banknote of Nepal said...

thanks for your food bog. yesterday have watching from Arriran tv by thai curry so I am excited with thai curries. thanks a lot for blog