Sunday, November 27, 2011

Musee Picasso - Antibes













The Musee Picasso is housed in the imposing Grimaldi Palace where the artist was given a studio when he returned to Antibes in 1946 after leaving wartime Paris. He spent his later life here infusing his work with Mediterranean light and joy.....


















The seaviews from the Palace terraces are quite spectacular and must have been so inspiring for an artist. So many of the great French artists gravitated towards Provence and the Riviera to paint this light and colour.......



















The Museum displays a wide range of Picasso's work from paintings, to sculpture, and ceramics...


















The variety of ceramics is a particular highlight of the collection, and I really like these plates decorated with a range of faces and expressions....


















One particular joyous work entitled "La Joie de Vivre" (1946), painted shortly after his arrival, depicts a lively mythological scene with the artist as the flute-playing centaur and Francoise Gilot as the dancing Maenad surrounded by leaping fauns and satyrs...












I am gradually working my way round all the galleries and museums on the Riviera as just so many artists were here. The Musee Picasso is well worth a visit (closed Tuesdays) as is the rest of Antibes. More on Antibes in a later post. Enjoy!

10 comments:

French Girl in Seattle said...

Thank you for this story, Catherine. I did not have time to visit the Picasso Museum (or Antibes) last August but have definitely added it to my list now! Beautiful shots, and that sky... ah- that sky! Sigh... Veronique (French Girl in Seattle)

Sylvia K said...

Awesome captures/information for the day and such a terrific post, Catherine! I do love those skies! Hope you've had a great weekend and a wonderful week ahead!

Sylvia

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

"La Joie de Vivre" is whimsical and joyful---a perfect image to lift my sagging spirits today. Thank you!

SHADOWY DELIGHT

Shadows above me, shadows below,
Shadows beside me, wherever I go;

Shadows each morning, shadows at night—
Shadows, O shadows, you’re my delight!


© 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher

Ants, Shadows, Sunflower

Lynne with an e said...

This joyful side of Picasso is a real delight. Fun to catch a glimpse of his ceramic work. The joy and light of the Mediterranean indeed! Glad to see you're enjoying it.

WV: rosicat
A painting Picasso made of a cat during his rose period.

GalleryJuana said...

Looking forward to seeing more of your musuem and gallery tours.

Fly Girl said...

Oh I love that joie painting! I don't think I've every see a Picasso work quite so whimsical.

Beverley Baird said...

What a delightful place to visit! Picasso is a favourite of mine - love his sense of fun.

Catherine said...

thanks for the comments - this area is so culturally rich in galleries and museums - come and pay a visit...

Malyss said...

What I prefer in Musee Picasso is.. Nicolas de Stael's work! He's one of my favorite painters; and his house is not very far from there, near the entrance of the old city.

Margaret Gosden said...

Lovely coverage of the Picasso Museum - and, yes, would love to visit it, if I ever get to Antibes!